Friday, February 1, 2008

Reverend Horton Heat House Of Blues - 12/30/95

From The Pit...

Momma always told me there wasn’t enough religion in my poor sick pitiful life. I needed some religion. I needed the love of the Lord to grab me by the throat and scream "DEVIL GET OOOOOUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT!!!!!" So, I thought who better to preach to me about the Lord than the one, the only Reverend Horton Heat’

The Rev pulled his big revival circus tent sideshow into the House of Blues in Hollywood to spread the word and convert the unconverted masses of heathens. Opening the show were Big Sandy and the Paladins. I’ve seen the Rev three times now and this was probably the best of the three shows. Big Sandy were a good warm up for what was to come. They’re much mellower than the Rev and even the Paladins, but rockabilly nonetheless. They’re a pretty traditional band that relies mostly on acoustic guitars, and look almost like Los Lobos. In fact they reminded me of Los Lobos. Maybe they’re the same guys...

The Paladins really came out strong and left rockin’. The crowd was more familiar with these guys than with Big Sandy. The Paladins have a big sound that is more electric based and heavier and rockin’. They got the crowd hoppin, the boys drinkin’, the ladies dancin’, and the pompadours swingin’. The psychobilly freakout was only beginning though.

The Reverend is just amazing live. The band has so much rockin’ energy and attitude. "Nature Boy" Jimbo on stand-up bass brings new meaning to the instrument, playing it, throwing it, riding it like a surf board, and even lowering it to offer as a pulpit for a Reverend Horton Heat guitar solo.

The Rev also has a new drummer named Scott Churilla along who just tears up the skins and beats the Devil out of his cymbals. The previous night, Brian Setzer was in the house and sat in for a few tunes. Rev opened up with "I Can’t Surf" from the latest album "Liquor in the Front". Whether this was meant for the California crowd I don’t know. I do know this: there were more rockabilly boys and girls there than surfers. There was more hair grease, more tattoos, more chain wallets, more rolled up pants, and more leather jackets than at a Harley convention.

This crowd was without a doubt there for the Rev, as the sweating, flying, hurling bodies of the pit attested to. The band played the opening trio of songs of "Liquor" soon after. "Big Sky", "Baddest of the Bad", and "One Time For Me" have to be heard (and felt) live to really be experienced. "One Time for Me" was definitely a stand out of the evening, but all paled in comparison to "400 Bucks", my personal favorite Rev song. "Bitch! I want my 400 Dollars!"

Earlier stuff that stood out included "Psychobilly Freakout", "Wiggle Stick", "The Devil’s Chasin Me", and "Nurture My Pig". The Rev’s stuff is heavy and rocks like hell on album but the stuff knocks you on your butt live baby!! New songs played included "Martini Time", "Or is it Just Me", and "Slow".

More new stuff was played but who knows what the Hell is goin’ on when you get caught up in the foot tappin’, finger snappin’, spine snappin’, rock and roll sermon that only the Rev can deliver’ The House of Blues is a good place to see a show. There are many areas were you can see the stage. The valet parking is a little ridiculous (yawn) and the beer selection needs to be pumped up a little bit.
Overall it’s a good place to see a show, even if the tickets were a little overpriced. Jimbo tells us that the new album will be out in April. The band is putting the finishing touches on it, and "it will blow your mind," Jim says. "It’s now, it’s cool, it’s happenin’!"

Somebody told me they have gospel nights at the House of Blues on Sunday. HA! I say. I’ll take a little gospel from the Reverend Horton Heat on any Saturday night you shove in my face baby! Go see the Rev and put a little something in the offering basket for me. He’ll be back around this Fall.

No comments: