Friday, February 1, 2008

hollywood, schmollywood

More drivel from The Pit. A bit DATED with the movie references, but I think the gist is still applicable...and yes, I am working on a screenplay.

When was the last time you saw a really great movie where you said "wow that's a really great movie?" It's been a while hasn't it? That's cuz most of the movies that come out are crap. Drivel. Hollywood.

The last movie that really knocked me on my ass was "Pulp Fiction". I really love that movie. It's a classic film. The only movie that's come close to my "great" rating was "Scream". That was some good shit too. I enjoyed watching Drew Barrymore run around in terror. I dug it when her tight little shirt rode up and you could see that tattoo on her back. I also dug it when her intestines were hanging out.

I also liked "The Usual Suspects" and "Seven". "Braveheart" was a kick ass movie. Sure there have been other movies I've enjoyed since then, but few "great" movies. No "Blue Velvet". No "Reservoir Dogs". No "Goodfellas". No "Godfather". No "Natural Born Killers". By the way, movies also aren't violent enough.

I hate most of the movies everybody else loves. I detested "Twister" sure the special effects were good, but when you have no story, bad acting and shitty characters it sort of takes away, ya know? I mean Helen Hunt is only interesting in a tank top for so long before even that gets old.

Another movie I can't stand is that "Independence Day" crap. I fell into the trap and went and saw it right away. Bill Pullman as the President? He bugs me. The first half was OK, where all the people were getting killed and the White House got obliterated. Then we figured out if we hacked onto the aliens' webpage we could fuck 'em up with some computer virus shit. Yeah right. Nice advanced culture. Once again, great effects, no story. Yet all you little insects pay your money to go see it don't you? You wouldn't find my ass---oh yeah, I went and saw it too.

Hollywood is too goody two shoes for me. Let's not take any risks. Look at "True Romance". In the original screenplay, the Clarence character (Christian Slater) dies and his girlfriend--goddess that she is--runs off with the money. In the film he lives. Hollywood studio thought it would be too harsh for Clarence to die. It's one of the rules. You can't kill off a character the audience gets attached to. Not in my movies baby. When I make a movie everybody's gonna die at the end. Especially the little kids.

What is impressive is when the rules get broken. The wife gets killed in "Seven". The good guy is the bad guy in "Scream". Kaiser Soze kills his family when they are taken hostage in "The Usual Suspects". The rules get broken so rarely though.

So much that comes out if feel good crap. "Forrest Gump". "Nell". "Rainman". "Shine". The Mediocrity Film Festival, folks. The future of American and they are all retarded! Maybe I don't want to feel good. Maybe I want to feel bad. I don't like people, especially mediocre people. I like deranged murderers.

When I see a movie I like a full sensory assault. I want to be overwhelmed not underwhelmed. Don't try to make me feel bad or see my own inadequacies. That's why I have a mirror in my bathroom.

I don't mean blown away by special effects either. I mean good stories, acting, dialogue and action. Here's my movie: no special effects. Everybody dies, but they say lots of real cool shit before they do. Shit you want to remember and repeat. Not "show me the money" or "life is like a box of chocolates". Show me characters. Show me good dialogue.

No comments: