Friday, February 1, 2008

m e t a l l i c a l o a d

From The Pit...

The latest Metallica opus "Load", weighs in at a hefty 78 minutes. CDs don't come much longer than this kids. You can't say you're not gettin' a bunch of Mettalacrunch for your money. Then again, it's not how long your CD is, it's how you use it.

This is an all around new Metallica. A Metallica for the 90's. A Metallica with haircuts, tattoos, eyeliner, and pierced body parts. They almost look like an alternative band nowadays. They topped all this off by headlining this past summer's Lollapalooza. Whacky huh? The band brought in rock photographer Anton Corbijn to do band photos for the CD jacket. The band's posturing and the exotic locations of the photos makes it all look like some moody U2 or Depeche Mode poster shoot. The scene on the cover is a shot of a literal load--a piece of modern art that consists of glass, blood and semen. You figure it out yourself. I bet you wear gloves now the next time you pick this CD up.

The looks and packaging may have changed but the music is still pretty much the same. Bone crunching drumming by hyper arrogant little Lars Ulrich. Pounding lead and rhythm guitar work form Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield. Jason Newstead's throbbing bass. Hetfield still growls his lyrics like a pissed off pit bull. The album opens with "Aint My Bitch" which I had hoped was some misogynist diatribe. Turns out it's about griping. Oh, THAT type of bitch.

"2x4" hits you over the head like a 2x4. Classic Metallica. "The House Jack Built" builds itself into a steady thumping throb. "...and I shake as I take it in, let the show begin." Another drug song along the lines of "Master of Puppets" perhaps? Play that wah wah pedal.

The first single is not typical Metallica fare. Wait till you see the video! "Until it Sleeps" has that familiar song structure of balladish verses, heavy chorus, but is still a deviation. I really like the drums on this song--the subtle nuances and the pounding beats. "King Nothing" is definitely another standout track. Nice ominous beginning. The song itself is sort of reminiscent of "Enter Sandman".

The ballad "Hero of the Day" doesn't do it for me. It might not even be a ballad all the way through. I can't make it through this track. I like the country twang of "Mama Said" even less. This aint no Lenny Kravitz either baby. I prefer songs I can relate to like "Wasting My Hate". "Aint gonna waste my hate on you/I think I'll save it for myself."

Listening to a Metallica album all the way through can be an exhausting experience. Not for the faint hearted, pregnant women, or children shorter than this line. I rarely can make it through a full Metallica album in one sitting. I guess I lack the attention span required for this. I think some old Metallica fans have gone onto other things. I'm not sure "Load" is the album to bring them back either. Either way this load will have to do for a while won't it?

No comments: