Friday, February 1, 2008

Interview with Playboy's "Women of the Internet" Tess Hennessey

This was a fun one, probably my biggest "interview" subject for The Pit. Got the site a lot of hits. Playboy had a piece on "Women of the Internet," basically naked chicks with websites, which there weren't a ton of at the time. Some had email addies, I emailed all of them, and Tess agreed to an interview. Pretty cool chick!

Q: Tell us a little bit about your background.

A: Well, my mother is Japanese and my father was European, (He's deceased, my mother is still very much alive). I was raised in Arizona but I've lived in Tokyo, London, Los Angeles and Phoenix. When I was growing up, my family would go to Tokyo to visit our relatives - my mother's family is very conservative and very Japanese. The culture has very rigid 'rules' re. social etiquette - one does NOT show emotions in public. Its improper to yell, cry, laugh, etc . . . In fact, when I was growing up, my mother would always tell me: "If you are upset, you go into a room and shut yourself up like a turtle. You do not come out until you are well." Even small children (I was expected to 'control' emotional outbursts from the age of 4 and up - Actually, I can't remember ever having permission to throw a 'fit.' And I never did). I'm not looking for pity - I believe that all japanese children are expected to behave in a similiar fashion - its part of the culture.

I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ. I got a Bachelors of Arts in History. (Good grades were 'expected.') I was studying for a Master's Degree in Writing at the University of Southern Cal. but I moved back to AZ before graduating and here I am today.

Q: Married? Family?

A: I am a single girl - perhaps I'm married to my books and computers. There are six children in my family. Since we were raised very 'Japanese,' we don't necessarily 'share' emotional stuff with one another in the way that most american families do. Two of my sisters are somewhat involved with my pop culture career. Katherine has 'posed' with me (She loves the attention - 'belle' of the ball syndrome) and Mary is an artist who has a great eye for composition. In fact, she's been my photographer on many occasions.

Q: How did you get into modeling?

A: I started modeling one summer when I was in Japan with my family. Since I'm 'half,' (Japanese term for those of mixed heritage) I could be dressed up as a kind of exotic japanese model. I was in car commercials, (Isuzu), food commercials (Nestle Choco-Hot), etc . . . Since I am very shy, this was not easy. I can't speak Japanese, they just wanted me to smile and look 'kawaii', (cute). Oh well.

Q: How did you get involved with computers and the internet?

A: I've owned a computer for many years. Since I write, its only natural that I'd want to use something that would make the typing process easier. Also, I'm very comfortable working with language. In fact, I prefer writing to talking. The internet seems an obvious extension of this.

Q: Has the internet helped my career?

A: That's hard to say. I write because it lets me 'communicate' emotions that are otherwise off-limits. "Write what you dare not say." O.K. The internet has helped my 'career' in so far as I'm able to 'communicate' with a lot more people than ever before. I'm very reclusive, I don't enjoy being in large groups and I'm not very good with small talk. Without the computer, my world is very small - indeed, I exist in something of a void. I guess that's a 'sort-of' answer.

Q: What do you think of the internet? Its uses and future?

A: The internet is a given for me - I've never really thought about the 'what ifs' involved.

Q: How did you hear about the Playboy piece?

A: I've had a web page up on the net for awhile now. Sometime last year, Playboy contacted me and asked if I would be interested in posing for a future feature called "Women of the Internet." I honestly don't know exactly how they found out about me or my page - I know that I'm featured in some college 'hot spot' billboards, perhaps Playboy heard about me from one of those sources.

One thing I am sure of, everyone at Playboy was totally professional, generous and kind to me. (This sounds Pollyanna but its TRUE and I was pleasantly suprised) They flew me to Chicago for the magazine pictorial and they flew me to Los Angeles for the video shoot. The photographer in Chicago, Richard, was wonderful. The whole setting was surreal and beautiful - I felt like a fluid piece of art - truly. The video in L.A. involved a much larger crew, the director, Tamara, was wonderful too. I know, you're gonna get diabeties if I keep this up but its the truth.
While in CA, I stayed in the guest house at the Playboy Mansion. Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Hefner invited me and another NetMate in the video (Pam) to join them for dinner and we did. Hef's wife, Kimberly, was gracious and warm to both Pam and I. Hef was in his 'silk pajamas' and he too was gracious. One always hears of the glittery superficial nature of Hollywood, but I was treated with respect and kindness. Believe me, I only wish I got the same treatment at the local grocery store. Funny.

Q: What do you think of your new fans?

A: I don't really believe that the people writing me are my 'fans,' they're simply amused by the spectacle of a girl parading around without any clothes - I myself am amused and I certainly don't consider myself a 'fan' of 'Tess Hennessy.'

Q: If you could have a Playboy centerfold, what would you want in your Playmate profile?

A: Wouldn't that be GREAT! I'd love to be a "Centerfold," imagine the photo possibilities - too much pleasure.

If only likeminded cybersouls, much like The Pit readers, would write/e-mail Playboy insisting that 'Tess Hennessy' be a Centerfold! Yes, yes. (I know this is shameless self-promotion at its most boring - but I actually DO want to be a Centerfold -)

You know, all through high school and college, really until I got into graduate school, I never had a 'boyfriend.' I never went to my senior prom for that matter - boo hoo. Anyway, I had glasses and braces and I got straight A's. (What a vision I must have been - EEEK). Obviously, I'm 'acting-out' and trying to 'prove' that I'm a desireable woman - a kinda pathetic attempt to play 'Homecoming Queen' I guess. At least I'm honest.

What would be my Playboy profile? Well, my one and only turn-off is arrogance - anyone who thinks that he is a 'Master of the Universe' is at best delusional and tiresome. Unfortunately, they can be potentially dangerous if they grow up to be a Mr. President or Mr. General - scary. My biggest turn-on is a good sense of humor. Woody Allen has always been really sexy to me because he has the rare ability to make me laugh - and I really love that. William F. Buckley is cool too, his voculabulary alone sends shivers down my back - such command of the english language! Imagine what he could say to a woman while making love - ooooh baby! LOL. Funny but true. That turns me on.

Q: What did your parents and friends think of you appearing in Playboy?

A: Honestly, my mother has no idea that I appeared in Playboy and I'm not going to be the one to break the news to her. Obviously, her 'proper' demeanor wouldn't allow her to 'say' anything derogatory , but she wouldn't have to - I already know that she would think my 'nude modeling' improper - very un-Japanese.

My close friends think it is ironic and funny that I posed for Playboy. Actually, they're more amused by the fact that Playboy wanted me to pose at all. Those who know me think of me as a 'nerd,' which is what I am and probably always will be - my metamorphosis is a phase, some childhood trauma I'm trying to work out. I tell them it could be worse, what if they woke one day to find me metamorphosized into a giant beetle, a la Franz Kafka. Then they'd have to call me Gregor and lock me in a dark bedroom.

Q: Have you been recognized from your appearance in Playboy?

A: I haven't been recognized on the street as the 'naked girl in Playboy,' if that's what you mean. But I have been told that in the video you can really TELL that its me prancing around. (I'm in Playboy's "Girls of the Net" video as well as being in their magazine pictorial).

If you haven't seen the video, you should. In my segment I'm working at my computer while wearing sexy stockings, garters, a sheer black shirt-dress, etc . . . (Typical attire while working on the computer, right), Anyway, as I work away I slowly begin to peel of my clothes - piece by piece - then - I spontaneously burst into dance. Ta-daaa! What could be more natural, right. Actually, the video is very nice. Playboy makes everyone look gorgeous, to quote a popular hair coloring commercial, "Its you, only better."

Q: What kind of response have you had (to Playboy)? Has it helped your modeling career?

A: I was truly suprised by the response I got from appearing in Playboy - truly. Previously, I received one or two e-mails every month. Now I'm getting thousands. I'm profoundly flattered but I'm also overwhelmed. At night I think to myself, behind every e-mail is a flesh and blood human being - someone who thinks and FEELS - its impossible to 'dismiss' these individuals as mere amalgamations of alphanumerics, ie. Screen names. I too sit behind a computer screen attempting to 'connect' as a whole human being - if I dare reduce someone else to an abstract I too shall be reduced. (There are billions of people on the planet - does quantity somehow detract from the importance of one single life? I think not).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way to personally recognize everyone who took the time and trouble to write. I'm somewhat inept at e-mail (I'm great with computers and research, but this whole online-chat/e-mail stuff is entirely new to me) so I haven't been very succesful yet. I'm experimenting and still trying though.

As for modeling - well, I've got alot of offers from people interested in developing my modeling, acting, singing, writing, etc . . . career. I love music and writing; it would be ironic if 'nude modeling' allowed me to ride that 15 minute wave to fame - especially since I've been writing and singing since I was a child. If I become a multimillionaire also - well, then I guess that the American Dream is alive and well in cyberspace. Champagne wishes and caviar dreams all the way to the bank. LOL. (Who was it that said, 'capitalists will sell you the rope you use to hang them with - LOL.)

No comments: